Tuesday 5 February 2013

Stories of me: First Day

I read a really good blog today by Fi about her First Day at school and try as I might, I cannot remember mine. It's forever ago! I can however remember my last day at high school, which of course was the first day of the rest of my life - as all teenagers think.

I graduated in 1997, 18 years old with big hair, engaged (yes really) and full of promise.

you can see the engagement ring (and big hair) here!
argh I can hear that song line 'regrets, I've had a few' right now!

I did ok in my exams although I've no doubt I would have done better had I not been involved with a boy like I was. Mum was right, he was no good for me and I was wasting my last years at school. . . Annoyingly so, Mums are always right and now that I am one, I actually accept that fact.  I wanted to be a lawyer but my results meant that wasn't an option, not right now anyway.

I was growing out a perm from a few years back and the wave fringe was in style so I had rather large unruly hair. Argh looking back I really needed to do something about that hair.

 bad bad hair right there!


 I was a member of the hockey team - note even bigger hair was sported at the time this photo was taken!!

I was also on the volleyball team, the debate team, school council, I edited and compiled the year book for 3 or 4 years (?) and I was a peer support leader - hello, major nerd alert! I was well respected I think? There were disagreements along the way but I got along well with most teachers and students and had a close knit group of friends. I along with two others gave the farewell speech on behalf of our year at our final assembly. Um, major achievement at high school right there! 

 My little peer support student had a crush on me which was just adorable.

I loved school and enjoyed study. I got distracted by a boy which is something I will forever regret and I will do my best to ensure the same thing doesn't happen to my kids - I know, I know, I can't control everything. I had some dear friends and yet in the years after school those friendships disappeared. Funnily enough thanks to social media I am back in touch with alot of those people and who knows if we may end up friends again. In real life, if you know what I mean.

The last day of school was fun, it was exciting and it was full of what ifs. Promise. At that point, on that day, you could be anything you wanted to be. Absolutely anything. The first day of the rest of your life, right there in front of you.... I can actually feel that excitement right now. The First Day is exciting, its nerve wracking, its full of questions and promise. First days should always be documented and remembered. always. I can't wait for my 3 monkeys to have their first days at school, bless em.

Thanks to Fi from My Mummy Daze for the prompt, it was fun!


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hi Liza! Hopped over from ETST and loved seeing some flashback pics! Next time I get home I hope to scan a bunch as well... there's nothing better than sweet, HUGE, 80's hair! Anyway, your children are adorable and I just had to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, no wonder we have an ozone problem, with the amount of hair spray we must have used in the 80s lol.
    Val

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, I'd love to hear them